In accordance with City Council Resolution No. 2017-1534, increases have been made to Planning Division permit fees. These increases will be effective March 11, 2017.

Click here to see the Citywide Fee Schedule.  A copy of the new fee schedule is also available upon request. Please feel free to see a Planning Division staff member if you have any questions.


For any proposed development project within the City of Calabasas, the Planning Division conducts the first stage of review of that project’s compatibility with the Calabasas Municipal Code. Consequently, all development project applicants shall contact the Planning Division first to determine which planning application forms will need to be completed as part of the submittal requirements.

Downloadable Applications/Forms:

Appeal Application
General Land Use & Development Application
Required for all project applications. Please note that original signatures from the applicant and property owner are required at the time of submittal.  Copies and faxes will not be accepted.

Note to solar panel applicants: Planning permits are not required for roof top solar panel system that produce less than 10 kW(DC). Please contact Building and Safety for Building Permit requirements for these system. A Zoning Clearance is required for all other types.
Notice to Applicants for All Discretionary Permits
Planning Fee Schedule
Plan Preparation Guidelines & Minimum Plan Contents
Recoverable Project Agreement
Sample Site Plan
Supplemental Application - Amendments
Supplemental Application - Conditional & Minor Uses
Supplemental Application - Designated Smoking Area
Supplemental Application - Development
Supplemental Application - Environmental Assessment Information
Supplemental Application - Historic Properties
Supplemental Application - Home Occupations
Supplemental Application - Landscape Documentation Package
Supplemental Application - Oak Trees
Supplemental Application - Scenic Corridors
Supplemental Application - Signs
Supplemental Application - Subdivisions
Supplemental Application - Temporary Uses
Wireless Telecommunication Facility Application
* Required for all new submittals

A Local Government Official’s Guide to Transmitting Antenna RF Emission Safety: Rules, Procedures, and Practical Guidance


Current Projects

Please click here for the latest projects, plans and reports in the City of Calabasas.


Temporary Use Permits – Special Events

Special events bring added festivity to our commercial areas and gathering places.  While special events are valuable opportunities for the businesses, charities, and entities hosting them, it is the City’s role to ensure that these functions do not pose a threat to public health and safety. Therefore, anyone wishing to host or organize a special event in the City is required to apply for a Temporary Use Permit (TUP).

TUP’s require the review of the Development Review Committee (DRC) prior to permit issuance.  A TUP application involves submittal of a completed General Land Use & Development Application form, a completed Supplemental Application form for Temporary Uses, and all associated supplemental materials. The completed application is routed to the DRC for review, and feedback from the DRC is then provided to the project planner, who must notify the applicant of any additional information that may be required. Once the application is deemed complete, a final decision is made by the Community Development Director. Notice of the decision is mailed to the applicant in the form of a decision letter, which may communicate approval, modified or conditional approval, or disapproval of the application.

Special event applicants seeking a temporary use permit are asked to apply as early as possible, to allow enough time to secure the necessary permit prior to the event.  The recommended timeframe for a TUP application submittal is at least one month prior to the event date.  Applications received later than one month prior to the event date may not be able to be processed in time for your event.  Also, please recognize that every event is different, with some events offering a greater variety of activities and features (with correspondingly greater complexity of issues and elements for review).  Accordingly, some TUP applications may require additional information to be provided to ensure that public health and safety are properly safeguarded.


Permit Streamlining Act

The Permit Streamlining Act was enacted in 1977 and requires public agencies (including charter cities) to follow standardized time limits and procedures for specified types of land use decisions. For the purposes of the Act, "development projects" applies only to adjudicatory (discretionary) approvals such as tentative maps, conditional use permits, and variances. Ministerial projects such as building permits, lot line adjustments, and certificates of compliance are not subject to the time limits established under the Act.

The Permit Streamlining Act is reminiscent of a flashing light. It turns on when an application is submitted, off when accepted as complete and the environmental review (CEQA) process begins, and on again after the CEQA determination has been made.

 [For more information, please visit:  The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research]


Discretionary Permits vs Ministerial Permits

Discretionary permits

  • Require approval via a public hearing from at least one of the City’s review bodies (see Planning Review Bodies section below).

  • Public hearings allow the applicant, and any members of the public interested in the proposed project, the opportunity to support or contest the project. These projects can then be approved, denied, or approved with conditions. The deci­sion can be appealed within 10 business days after director or commission action.

  • An example of a discretionary permit is a conditional use permit.

Ministerial (Non-Discretionary) Permits

  • Ministerial permits do not require a public hearing, and are instead issued internally by the Community Development Department.

  • Ministerial permits are granted if a project meets all established standards set forth in the Development Code (Title 17). However, these permits will be denied if all statutes cannot be met.

  • An example of a ministerial permit is a zoning clearance.


Planning Review Bodies – Overview

Planning Review Bodies: Table 6-1 from Section 17.60.020 of City of Calabasas Municipal Code (to be linked to pdf document)

[For more detailed information on the roles of the different review bodies, please refer to the Calabasas Municipal Code]

  • City Council

The City Council is composed of five members elected at large on a non-partisan basis to serve four year overlapping terms. The Council is the legislative policy-making branch of City government. With regards to planning-related matters, it is the Council's responsibility to enact ordinances, resolutions and major plan amendments. In addition, City Council also appoints members of the Planning Commission, and approves tract maps.

  • Planning Commission

The Planning Commission consists of six residents of the City of Calabasas (five regular members and one alternate member) whose members are appointed by the City Council for a term of 2 years. The Planning Commission is the decision making body for most types of discretionary projects, and is a required entity under Section 65100 of California State Law.

  • Community Development Director

Under the City’s Development Code, smaller projects such as residential additions of less than 500 square feet, and the construction of small structures in designated scenic corridors in the City, are reviewed at a public hearing where the Community Development Director serves as the hearing officer.

  • Development Review Committee

The Development Review Committee is comprised of representatives from other City departments involved in the building process, as well as other public agencies having jurisdictional authority over development projects in the City. The purpose of the group is to provide applicants with review comments and coordinate responses when there are overlapping jurisdictional requirements required of applicants.

  • Architectural Review Panel

The panel is composed of a volunteer group of design, construction and real estate professionals who make advisory recommendations to the planning commission regarding the architectural design of buildings, landscape plans and other site features. Members are appointed by the Planning Commission.

  • Historic Preservation Commission

The Historic Preservation Commission consists of five residents of the City of Calabasas who are appointed by the City Council for a term of 2 years and an ex-officio non-voting member who is a member of the Calabasas Historical Society. The members review shall evaluate each application for landmark, landscape or district nomination, in accordance with the criteria established in Section 17.36.050, at a public hearing, and shall decide by majority vote whether to approve any nomination and forward it to the council with a recommendation for historic designation.


City of Calabasas © 2017